If you are a resident of West Baton Rouge Parish you may be summoned to serve as a juror for the 18th Judicial District Court. Your attendance on the specified date places you in a pool or group of prospective jurors from which you may be randomly selected to serve as a juror.
There are three types of juries that serve the 18th Judicial District Court. Grand Juries are selected in March and September of each year. The jury panel serves a six month term and is called at the discretion of the District Attorney. Petit juries are selected each month. The jury panel decides the guilt or innocence of a defendant charged with a criminal offense. Civil juries are selected as needed. The jury panel decides which party the law favors in a dispute between two or more individuals or businesses.
Louisiana Code of Criminal Procedures Title XI Article 401 lists the qualifications of a juror. Those qualifications state to serve as a juror, a person must:
- Be a citizen of the United States and of the state of Louisiana who has resided within West Baton Rouge Parish for at least one year immediately preceding his or her jury service.
- Be at least eighteen years of age.
- Be able to read, write, and speak the English language and be possessed of sufficient knowledge of the English language.
- Not be under interdiction or be incapable of serving as a juror because of mental or physical infirmity.
- Not be under indictment for a felony nor have been convicted of a felony for which he or she has not been pardoned.
STATUS OF JURY TRIALS
18TH JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT
PARISH OF WEST BATON ROUGE
This site should be viewed after 5:30 p.m. on the day prior to your jury service report date. Trials are often cancelled a number of days prior to their scheduled date. Therefore, you may regularly visit this site to obtain more timely information regarding the status of a trial. You may also obtain status information by calling the Clerk of Court’s office at 225-383-0378.
|Petit Jury # 224||Judge Tonya S. Lurry||July 21, 2020||9:00 am||Pending|
|Petit Jury # 225||Judge J. Kevin Kimball||July 27, 2020||9:00 am||Pending|